Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Birthday Man's Chocolate Chess Pie


This is a big year for the Hubs. He is turning 26 and I feel like he now deserves to be called the Birthday Man instead of Birthday Boy. Much more appropriate. He's pretty easy to please when it comes to his birthday or holidays. He almost always asks me to make him a Chocolate Chess Pie. While it doesn't seem like a difficult recipe, I have had several mishaps when making it for him. Either the crust burns or the inside has a goo-like texture and never sets up. He eats it regardless but I am always let down when the one thing he asks for turns out to be a flop. Last week I prepared the pie for him and it turned out PERFECTLY! I was shocked. I followed the recipe EXACTLY. (I'm usually a little off with my measurements or mixing times) But this time, I even set a timer on my phone so I could make sure I mixed the filling for precisely two and a half minutes. Needless to say, it was worth being so particular with the preparation. Successful pie and a very happy and full Birthday Man. 

 This recipe is from Southern Sideboards Cookbook (If you can find one, this is a fabulous wedding gift!)






Super easy clean up!

The finished product


Southern Sideboards' Chocolate Chess Pie

1 9 inch pie shell, unbaked                           1 (5.33 oz) can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups sugar                                          1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons cocoa                                    1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
1/4 cup margarine
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/8 teaspoon salt

Prepare unbaked pie shell. Mix sugar, cocoa and margarine. Mix well. Add eggs and beat with electric mixer for two and a half minutes. Add salt, milk, and vanilla. Stir in pecans, if desired. Pour filling into pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes. Serves 6-8. 

Helpful Hints:
I did not use nuts in pie pictured above. Start with a cold oven. Also, I did not take my pie shell out of the freezer until the filling was mixed and I was ready to pour it into the shell. Do not preheat the oven at all. Just put the pie in and set it for 350 degrees.


No comments:

Post a Comment