Thursday, January 17, 2013

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Perfect for this cold weather.

Big news about this recipe.

Cameron, my sweet, vegetable hating husband ATE BROCCOLI.

If being a wife was like being a girl scout, I would have earned my produce badge for this miracle!

He ate the whole bowl, looked at me and said "this is the best broccoli I've ever had. If I have to eat broccoli, I want to eat it this way."

BOOM. 

Here's what you need:

1 Onion, diced
1 stick of Butter
1/3 cup Flour
4 cups of Whole Milk
2 cups Half and Half (I only had heavy cream so I used that)
4 heads of Broccoli, cut into florets
1 pinch Nutmeg (didn't have that either)
3 cups of grated cheese (I used Monterrey Jack, Cheddar, and Gruyere)
Salt 
Pepper



1. Melt the butter in a large pot.
2. Add the diced onions to the pot. Cook for 3-4 mins.


   3. Add the 1/3 cup of flour. Stir to combine. Cook for a minute or so.


4. Pour in the milk.


5. Pour in the half and half or heavy cream. Add a pinch of nutmeg if you have it. 


6. Add the broccoli...


and a good amount of pepper.


7. Cover with a lid and let it simmer for 20 - 30 mins.


8. Once the broccoli is tender, add in the cheese and let it melt. Stirring along the way. 


9. Here's where you get to pick the ending for your soup.
You can let it be, mash up the broccoli a little with a potato masher, or puree it completely.

With Cameron's texture issues about food, I figured pureeing it was my best bet.

I used a ladle to spoon the soup into my food processor. I poured the pureed soup into a clean bowl. 
Pureed the second half and then poured everything back into my original pot.




Heat it up, top with cheese, and serve!


 I don't have a picture of the finished soup because we ate it.

I didn't want to pressure Cameron about the soup because I knew broccoli was really pushing his limits. 
He fixed his own bowl. I just sat back and played it cool. HA.

Seriously though, next thing I know he's telling me that this dish is good, I should def make it again, and his bowl is empty.




Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment