Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Guest Post - Maggie of SPICE

Today I want welcome one of my fave bloggers, Maggie of the amazing food blog SPICE.

My mouth literally waters as I read and obsess over her recipes and pictures.

Her posts are awesome and entertaining! I check her blog religiously.

Enjoy!

________________________________________



I am beyond excited to be here at Susannah Styles! Not only do I adore Susannah’s blog, but I’ve been in her wonderful kitchen and know she is quite the chef (and hostess).

My name is Maggie and I blog over at SPICE about my culinary adventures and life after graduating from Ole Miss.  I am currently in my second to last phase of culinary school in Memphis. Thanks for letting me share one of my very favorites recipes on one of my very favorites blogs.

As far as I’m concerned it’s still grilling season. Yes it’s the middle of October and yes I pulled out my boots and Barbour this weekend, but it is still 80 degrees and football season, right?

I am about to share with you the very best burger recipe. Ever. I wouldn’t lie to you, I promise these are the best burgers you will ever put in your mouth. The coolest part is, you can make them at home. So get out your kitchen aid and fire up your grill, it’s time to house ground your own burgers.



Recipe adapted From Cook's Illustrated.
Makes 4 burgers.

INGREDIENTS
10 
ounces sirloin steak tips , cut into 1-inch chunks (see note) or T-bone (what we use at the Giffin household)
6 
ounces beef short ribs (boneless), cut into 1-inch chunks
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
1
 tablespoon unsalted butter
4
 hamburger buns , soft 
4
 slices American cheese
thinly sliced onion



INSTRUCTIONS

1. Place beef chunks on baking sheet in single layer, leaving 1/2 inch of space around each chunk. Freeze meat until very firm and starting to harden around edges but still pliable, 15 to 25 minutes.

2. Meanwhile,  Ignite about 6 quarts (1 large chimney or about 6 pounds) charcoal and burn until coals are completely covered with thin coating of light gray ash, 20 to 30 minutes. Spread coals evenly over grill bottom, position grill rack above the coals, and heat until medium-hot (you can hold your hand 5 inches above grill surface for no longer than 3 or 4 seconds).


3. Using kitchen aid grinder attachment feed meat cubes through, being sure to alternate cuts, sprinkle with kosher salt along with way. After the meat is ground, mom lays beef on a 1/2 sheet tray, covers it, and then lays another 1/2 sheet on top and presses until the ground beef is fully flat and even (this ensures equal burgers). When your ready to grill, portion the patty’s. Grill to medium/medium rare and serve with toasted and buttered buns



Mom and I made these burgers a few weekends ago when I came home for a visit, we had our burgers with bacon-fat French fries, enjoy yours however you please and be prepared to eat more than one.



No comments:

Post a Comment