Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pound Cake

Cameron went to Talladega a few weekends ago to have a "man weekend" with his college buddies. I am a firm believer that if you want your man to continue being A MAN and not become a girlfriend of yours, he needs man time. I'm not talking about a crazy trip to Thailand or something. Just a few days to be a guy and do all those disgusting man things together like scratching.

 Cam has a very large sweet tooth. So when I saw a pic of a Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pound Cake on Instagram, I knew that I had to find a recipe and make this for him to come home to!

Here's what you need for the cake:

3 Cups of All Purpose Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Cup of Creamy Peanut Butter (Recipe says to not use natural pb)
1/2 Cup of Butter at Room Temperature
3 Cups of Granulated White Sugar
6 Large Eggs
2 Teaspoons of Vanilla Extract
1 Cup of Chocolate Chips
1/2 Cup of Reese's Chips

For the glaze:

1 1/2 Cups of Sifted Powdered Sugar
1/4 Cup of Milk
1/4 Cup of Creamy Peanut Butter
1/2 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
1/4 Cup of Chocolate Chips


1. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
2. Generously spray a tube pan with non-stick cooking spray. 
3. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.


Baking can be very temperamental. I like to go ahead and measure everything out before I start to make the process much easier.  Mise en place!

 Shoutout to Chef Craven for my knowledge of that culinary term!


4. Using your electric mixer, cream together the peanut butter and butter.



5. Add the sugar and beat for another 5 minutes.


6. Add the eggs and vanilla, mix until combined. 


6. Add the eggs and vanilla, mix until combined. 
7. Turn your mixer speed to low and slowly add the dry ingredients that you mixed and set aside earlier. Make sure all of the dry ingredients are incorporated into the batter. You may need to turn the mixer off and scrape the sides. 


8. Add the chocolate & Reese's chips and mix until they're just incorporated into the batter.


9. Pour the batter into the greased tube pan. Hit the pan on top of your counter tops to allow the batter to spread out evenly and get rid of any air bubbles. 


10. Bake for an hour and a half. If the top starts to brown, cover it with aluminum foil and continue baking it. After the timer goes off, insert a tooth pick or skewer into the middle of the cake. If it comes out almost clean you are finished baking. Take the pan out of the oven and let it for about 20 minutes or so. After that, flip it out of the pan and let is cool on a wire rack. 


11. For the glaze, whisk together the sifted powered sugar, milk, peanut butter, and vanilla until smooth. 
My sifter gave up midway through this so I used a colander. 



12. I waited an hour or two for the cake to cool completely and then drizzled the glaze over it. 


 I think I did something wrong because my glaze was very thick and did not drizzle well! 
But I topped it with more Reese's chips so it's all good. 


Except for the glaze not being very pretty, this cake was right on target! I wouldn't bake it much longer than the one and half hours that the recipe calls for. I added on about ten more minutes and the cake turned out just a touch dry. But it was still yummy! Even better when you heat it up a little bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment