Thursday, April 26, 2012

Church Chicken

This past Monday morning I just could not get it together.
After the trip to New Orleans and celebrating a friend's birthday over the weekend, I was a wreck. My hair needed a deep conditioning, my skin felt so gross, and I was still exhausted. I'm not even going to tell you what the house looked like. Long story short, I pulled myself together. I took a long, hot shower, used an Aveda deep conditioning mask, my Clarisonic Mia and covered myself in a gradual sunless tanner-Cetaphil mixture. I felt like a new girl! I decided that I was going to cook a very comforting meal to ease us into the week.

After looking in my kitchen, I decided on Church Chicken. I call it Church Chicken because my parent's neighbor in Waycross cooks this recipe for church banquets. It's the first place I've ever had it and it's so good.

Later Monday afternoon, I was on the treadmill trying to compensate for everything I had eaten the week before. I turned on the tv and it was Paula Deen cooking the same recipe I was planning on cooking that night. It's also a very popular dish at her restaurant in Savannah.




Here's what you need:
*I modified this recipe slightly


7 Boneless Skinless Chicken Strips
1 Can of Cream of Chicken Soup
Butter
1/4 Cup of White Wine
6 Slices of Swiss Cheese
1 Cup of Herb Flavored Stuffing Mix
Salt & Pepper

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Butter a casserole dish and place the chicken strips into the dish. Salt & pepper the chicken.



3. Cover the chicken with the slices of Swiss cheese.


4. Combine the cream of mushroom soup and the white wine into a bowl. Add salt & pepper to taste.


5. Pour the soup-wine mixture over the chicken strips in the casserole dish.


6. Top with breadcrumbs and 4 tablespoons of  melted butter.


7. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.


I would recommend using chicken breasts if you are bringing this to a gathering or serving it to a crowd. You could cut the chicken breasts in half if needed.

I served this with white rice and green beans. Green beans out of a can. Yes. The only way Cameron will eat them. But it just so happens to be the way they served them at my church in Waycross too.

Here's the link to Paula's recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment