Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Easily Cauliflower Mash/Puree


Mashed Cauliflower. 

You don't really mash it but the word "puree" can scare people. 

I am here to tell you that if you prepare it correctly, it will taste almost exactly like mashed potatoes.

I know you don't believe me. That's fine.

I didn't believe it until I made it myself. 

My husband Cameron ate it if that tells you anything

Give it a try!

Here's what you need:

Cauliflower florets, washed 
Garlic
Salt & Pepper
Butter
Milk


1. Add the florets to a pot of boiling water. 
I pressed a couple of garlic cloves and added them to the pot as well. 


2. Boil until they are soft enough to be broken apart with a spoon. Drain in a colander. 


3. Once they have drained and cooled down, dump them into a dish towel and squeeze out the moisture. 
It may be hot. Def stand over the sink and be careful not to burn yourself with the hot water.
Some recipes say this step is necessary to make sure the cauliflower get light and fluffy like a cooked potato would.
Other recipes don't even include this step but it worked well for me so... 


4. Next, I tossed the dried cauliflower bits into my food processor. I added a splash of milk, good bit of butter, salt, pepper. I just kept pulsing it until it had the consistency I wanted. 


5. Finally, I poured the mash/puree into a baking dish and heated in the oven on 350. 


Super easy. 
Much healthier than mashed potatoes.
Cameron ate it.
What more can I say?

It's cheap, easy, and tastes good.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment