Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Pretzel Chicken in a Honey Mustard Sauce

This recipe is being pinned like crazy on Pinterest.

It's easy, delicious, and will definitely be added to my recipe repertoire.

Here's what you need:
4 cups of coarsely crushed, hard or sourdough pretzels
*I didn't have any sourdough pretzels so I just used the regular pretzels I had.
 1/2 cup of neutral tasting olive oil
1/2 Dijon mustard
1/3 cup of honey
1/4 cup bottled water
*Recipe called for bottled. I used tap.
3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
Coarse Salt
Fresh ground black pepper
*I used table salt and ground pepper
1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts
*I used strips but breasts would have worked better

1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Take a wire baking rack and place it on top of a rimmed baking sheet.

2. Using a food processor, pulse the pretzels until they are mostly small pieces with a few large bits.

I put the pretzels in a ziploc and crunched them up with my hand.

3. Add the oil, mustard, honey, water, and vinegar to a food processor and pulse until it is smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Feel free to add more honey or mustard to customize this sauce how you like it.



5. Pour half of the sauce into a large shallow bowl or dish. Add the chicken. Make sure each breast is coated with the sauce. 


6. Pour the pretzel pieces and crumbs into a shallow bowl. Dredge each breast or strip in the mixture. Covering them thoroughly. Feel free to get messy and use your hands to pat the pretzels onto the chicken.


7. Carefully place each piece of chicken onto the wired rack on the rimmed baking sheet. 


8. Bake the chicken for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through. 


9. Let it rest on the rack for at least 5 minutes before serving. 


I served my chicken with wild rice, steamed green beans, and sauteed mushrooms. 




 I absolutely loved this recipe. I love a delicious sauce.

There's a good chance that you have most of the ingredients in your pantry or refrigerator already.

I think I needed to break up my pretzel pieces a little bit more.

They didn't cling to the chicken very well.

Other than that, everything was almost perfect.

The sauce is sooooo gooooood.

I may serve in the future as a dip with pretzels. 

When reheating this dish, I would use your oven so that the pretzels get crispy again. 

The microwave might make them a little soggy.

Let me know what you think about this recipe if you try it.

Bon appetit!








No comments:

Post a Comment